There is a large number of jobs available in the fields throughout the state of North Carolina. Nearly 10,000 of these agricultural positions are available with the same employers who have applied to the government for permission to hire temporary agricultural guest workers, also known as H-2A farm workers.

If you are authorized to work in the United States and apply on time, you have the right to be hired in many of these jobs. H-2A jobs have salaries and benefits governed by federal laws, including:


  • A salary of $ 12.25/hour in North Carolina for 2019;
  • Free housing if one cannot reasonably return to their residence within the same day;
  • Workers’ compensation insurance for work accidents (not commonly offered to agricultural workers);
  • Reimbursement for transportation to and from the place of employment if one must travel from far away to take the job;
  • Sometimes a longer period of employment.


  1. Go and apply at the Workforce Solutions Division office, “DES” or NCWORKS, in your county. The office staff can help you determine what will be the best work option for you. Call 919-814-0544 to determine the nearest DES office. Bilingual staff in English and Spanish should be available to assist you.
  2. Note that DES also offers agricultural jobs that are not H-2A positions. The benefit of having an H-2A job is that they offer free housing and workers’ compensation insurance. Ask the DES staff to explain the wages and benefits for all agricultural jobs that are available for you to make a good choice.

You should not be subject to discrimination in the process of getting an agricultural job through DES.

You can call the Farmworker Unit of Legal Aid for a free and confidential consultation at 1-800-777-5869 or if you have questions. You can also call Legal Aid at the same number if you have any type of agricultural work and feel you are being treated unfairly.

*Legal Aid is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services in civil cases to people with less income. All calls are confidential. Our staff is bilingual. This article contains legal information for educational purposes. It does not constitute legal advice. For services regarding your personal circumstances, contact Legal Aid or a private attorney.